If you have experience as an underwriter, enjoy working with people and are looking to further your career, you might be interested in this top job as an assistant underwriter in a Sacramento, California insurance firm.
In this position, you will help a number of different underwriters with their daily activities. So, you will need to be able to ask questions when issues arise or when discrepancies occur, and be able to speak with clients.
You must be able to promote good customer relations with brokers both in and outside of California. You must be able to handle inquiries from customers professionally and within the standards established by the company.
Requirements for the job include a high school diploma or equivalent and at least one year of experience working in the insurance industry, preferably in the service area. A Property and Casualty License is also preferred. You should also have knowledge of insurance terminology. Other requirements include: computer skills, the ability to work independently, the ability to prioritize assignments to meet deadlines, strong organizational and analytical skills, attention to detail, and excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
Duties for this job include:
- Respond to department inquiries via telephone and email
- New business rating and file prep
- Handle new business communication to agents, components and policyholders
- Verify and produce critical information for file documentation (dates, premium, policy numbers, claims reports, applicable forms, subject to items, etc.)
- Communicate with underwriting staff on new business eligibility
- Process and issue policy change requests (endorsements) within service promise standards both in-house and from out-of-state brokers
- Approve/decline limit changes for all lines of coverage
- Gather information needed for discount requests for all lines of coverage
- Loss-run reporting and third-party requests for information
- Maintain communication with underwriter staff on change requests outside of individual authority and secure underwriter direction as needed
- Appeals for reinstatement within authority
- Conduct cancellation review of policies, including the extended reporting period endorsement
- Handle non-payment cancellations and non-member cancellations
- Handle renewal discount communication with policyholders
- Handle non-CDA membership report for renewal
- Review and prep non-renewal files for committee review
- Handle state dental board non-licensed policyholder report
- Assist in preliminary research on projects, new programs and coverages
- Complete department specific reports, counts or projects
- Assist with data entry on an as-needed basis
While we can’t provide the salary range here, Indeed.com reports that as of late November, the average annual salary for an assistant underwriter in Sacramento was $34,000.