If you are looking for a job within the insurance industry, there are certain types of skills hiring managers tend to look for over and over again.
Read below for a few of the essential skills you should possess as well as highlight on your resume.
- Overall, insurance departments and companies are looking for analytical/technical skill. This holds true no matter what type of position you seek, whether you want to work as an underwriter, an agent or an actuary. In addition, for some positions (such as that of agent), you need to have certain insurance licenses. (If you’re looking for an entry-level position, most insurance companies will help you become licensed while training you.)
- You’ll need solid analytical skills in order to evaluate a customer’s claim or calculate the price of a policy. Insurance agents, for example, will be reviewing financial data in order to ascertain the best policies and plans for their clients. Underwriters need to analyze customer applications in order to decide if a client should be covered.
- You also should have very good customer service skills because you’re going to be talking to and communicating with people from all walks of life; from customers, to colleagues, to business owners, and so on. You also may have to handle call claims with policy holders, not all of whom will be happy with the amount of coverage they purchased at the time they actually need it. Can you keep your cool when a customer can’t?
- How are your technical skills? How skilled are you in Excel and Word, as well as in other online calculating applications? You need to know your way around a good variety of software such as CRM program and underwriting software. You should be a whiz at calculus, statistics and algebra so that you’ll be able to calculate customer premiums and coverage amounts.
- You’ll be dealing with a lot of data, paperwork and files, so you should be highly organized and efficient.
- Your writing, spelling and grammar skills should be top notch.
If you’re looking for opportunities in the insurance sector, and if you have the skills listed above, be sure to highlight them on your resume and send them to Insurance Relief™ for access to some of the best insurance positions available. We look forward to hearing from you.